Dark Link is a Midi/USB-to-CV/Gate interface to control vintage monophonic synthesizers via Midi or USB. Dark Link is nothing but the USB/Midi interface of the Dark Energy. It has available 4 analog control voltage outputs (CV1…4) and one Gate output.
- Midi Input
- Learn button
- Gate Out (with LED for Gate display and learn function)
Important Note for all units with serial number up to 112700 concerning the gate voltage:
- The gate output is not suitable for devices that require a gate voltage more than +5V ! But the Dark Link can be modified for +12V gate voltage. The modification should not be carried out by the customer because in this case the warranty is void (it is necessary to interrupt the +5V track and install a wire to +12V). We will publish soon details about the modification in case that customers want to carry out the modification despite the warranty loss.
- The gate output is not suitable for devices that require a so-called switched trigger. In this case we recommend to order the additional S-Trig cable. Details are available on the FAQ page of our website: S-Trig conversion.
Important Note for all units with serial number beyond 112700 concerning the gate voltage:
- Inside the unit is a jumper available that is used to set the gate voltage to +5V or +12V. If the jumper is removed the gate output has S-Trigger function.
- CV1: controlled by Midi note messages, 1V/Octave, 0…+5V
- CV2: controlled by Midi pitch bend, ~ -2.5…+2.5V or ~ 0…+5V (can be selected by an internal jumper)
- CV3: controlled by Midi velocity, 0…+5V
- CV4: controlled by Midi control change messages, free assignale controller in learn mode
- Glide control (portamento function for CV1)
- power supply (12V AC/minimum 200mA, more mA is no problem, a DC supply will not work !))
- CV1…CV4 and Gate are 3.5 mm miniature jack sockets
- MIDI channel, reference note for CV1 (this is the MIDI note corresponding to 0V of CV1 and thus the lowest possible note of the analog synthesizer connected to Dark Link) and the controller no. for CV4 are adjusted via learn function. For this the learn button must be pressed and the required MIDI messages sent from the MIDI controlling device (MIDI synthesizer, keyboard, sequencer …).
- The other parameters (retrigger, trigger polarity, assign mode …) are also adjusted in learn mode via program-change messages.
- Dark Link is nothing but the interface of Dark Energy
- Metal case, made of 1 mm steel, black coated with white printing
- Dimensions: about 145 length x 35 height x 60 depth (all measures are in mm)
- These parts are included (worldwide): one USB cable (type A-B), user’s guide
- These parts are included (only within Europe): power supply (12 AC/min. 200mA) for 230V mains voltage with European mains plug, please ask the Doepfer representative in your country if a power supply is included if you from other countries
- Please order suitable patch cables in addition if required (Midi, A-100 patch cable in the required length, adapter cable 3.5 mm – 6.3 mm /1/4″ jack plug)
- Powering the device via USB is not possible, because the analog circuits require a dual voltage (+/-12V).
- If you want to connect the Dark Link gate output to devices that use S-Trig a special S-Trig cable is available (only necessary for units manufactured before 2012). For details please refer to our FAQ page.
A modular version of the Dark Link is also available: A-190-3
User’s manual: Dark_Link_Manual.pdf
Additional note (not mentioned in the first version of the user’s manual):
Jumper on JP12A = pitch bend voltage -2,5…+2,5V
Jumper on JP12B = pitch bend voltage 0 … 5V